Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Pet peeve

2 Corinthians 12:2-5
I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. [3] And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) [4] How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. [5] Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

Some maintain that the apostle Paul was speaking of himself, but out of a great humility, refers to himself in the third person. 

While this may be true, it is only a unfounded supposition, bearing no weight or authority. The Bible doesn't say abt more than this.   A casual mention in a sermon our lesson is fine, however that's all you can honestly do.

Yet whole doctrines are built in much less a foundation by those who read into the Bible all kind of things that it doesn't say. 

Don't impose onto the scriptures your opinions, biases, and prejudices.  That is known as isogesis, and leads to hearsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers